E-mail a Friend

* Required Fields


Energy Assistance Programs

Assistance is available for natural gas consumers. The assistance may be in the form of a reduction of your natural gas bill and/or a set amount based on your income to be paid each month. Eligibility for these programs is usually based on household income. Contact Dominion East Ohio as soon as you get a delinquent notice. The sooner you call, the more services there are to help you. A variety of special payment plans and other payment assistance options can also be discussed. These plans include:

Medical Certification Program

This program delays a shutoff when it would be especially dangerous and life-threatening to the health of a permanent member of your household. The program allows you time to get financial help, but doesn't reduce your bill. Call us at 1-800-362-7557 for a request form. A licensed medical professional must sign the form.

Dominion East Ohio Energy Share

Dominion East Ohio Energy Share program is designed to help needy individuals and families pay any type of winter heating bill--natural gas, wood, oil, kerosene or electricity. Read more about the energy assistance program or contact your local Salvation Army office to apply.

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)*

Available to income-eligible customers, HEAP is a government program that provides a credit for your heating bill. Although HEAP pays part of your gas bill, it is not a guarantee against shutoff. The filing deadline is usually March 31. Applications are available at post offices and libraries, or by calling the Ohio HEAP office at 1-800-282-0880. Click here for the Program Guidelines

HEAP is a federally funded energy assistance program administered by the Ohio Department of Development (ODOD). It is designed to help income-eligible Ohioans meet the high costs of home heating. HEAP pays a one-time payment for most PUCO-regulated utility customers reflecting their usage for the current winter heating season. To be eligible for HEAP, your total household income must be at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines:

Call (800) 282-0880, TDD (800) 686-1557 or write to P.O. Box 1240, Columbus, Ohio 43266-0583. HEAP applications may also be downloaded from the Ohio Department of Development Web site or picked up at community action agencies, post offices and libraries. Note: Each household should mail only one HEAP application.

Winter Crisis Program (WCP)*

WCP, also known as Emergency HEAP (E-HEAP), provides an emergency payment once each heating season to qualified income-eligible customers to help them avoid a shutoff or restore gas service. Program dates are normally November 1 through March 31. Find out more about this program and download an application at the Ohio Department of Development web site.

Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus (PIPP Plus)*

Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus (PIPP Plus) allows eligible customers to make lower energy payments. If you qualify, you can pay 6 percent of your gross monthly household income, or a $10 minimum payment, whichever is greater, to the utility company providing your main heating source and five percent to the utility company providing your secondary heating source. You can choose to join PIPP Plus for only one utility service

Who is eligible?

  • Your utility company must be regulated by the PUCO.
  • You must apply for all energy assistance for which you are eligible.
  • You must have a gross yearly household income at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level. If you are not eligible based on the 12-month "test," you may qualify for PIPP based on your income for the most recent three months.

How do I sign up?

PIPP Plus helps income-eligible customers maintain gas service by paying 6 percent of their total monthly household income, or a $10 minimum payment, whichever is greater, all year. Here are the eligibility guidelines for PIPP Plus and you can apply by calling us at 1-800-362-7557. If you're no longer income-eligible for PIPP Plus or if you voluntarily leave the program, Graduate PIPP Plus can help you gradually pay off your total overdue amount.

What do I need to do to stay on PIPP Plus?

  • Make the required monthly payments.  If you miss PIPP Plus payments, your gas service will be shut off, you will be removed from the program and your entire account balance will become due.
  • Make up any missed payments.  You have 30 days from your PIPP Plus anniversary date to make up any missed payments, or you will be removed from the program.
  • Re-verify your income.  You must re-verify their gross monthly household income once every 12 months or you will be removed from PIPP Plus.

When do I pay the PIPP Plus amount or the current bill?

PIPP Plus customers who use natural gas as the primary heating source will pay the 6 percent PIPP or a $10 minimum PIPP payment year-round.

What do I do if my service is disconnected for non-payment?

You would have to reapply for PIPP, pay any missed payments (default), and may have to pay a reconnection charge and/or a security deposit.

Can I participate in a natural gas Energy Choice program and a PIPP program at the same time?

Natural gas marketers, the companies that provide natural gas under the Energy Choice programs, do not participate in the PIPP Plus program. If you are participating in a choice program, and then become eligible for and participate in the PIPP Plus program, your natural gas provider will automatically be switched to the local utility. If you were under a contract with the natural gas marketer, they can assess an early termination penalty when a customer switches to the PIPP Plus program before the contract expires.

What if I want to discontinue PIPP Plus?

You may request to be taken off the plan at any time. The company may require that this request be in writing. If you are no longer income eligible for PIPP Plus, the company is required to place you on the Arrearage Crediting Program. You may find it convenient to remove yourself from PIPP Plus prior to becoming income ineligible. In this instance, you will need to contact your utility company to make appropriate arrangements on the balance due.

Senior Care for Ohio Customers

Email Dominion or if you have an emergency, always call at 1-888-667-3000.

Third Party Notice

Dominion East Ohio's Third Party Notice lets any customer designate a friend, relative, clergyperson, or even a social service agency to be notified before service is cut off for nonpayment.

The third party receives the same notification as the customer of any past-due amount and the date the payment is due. He or she can then help the customer take steps to make sure service continues uninterrupted. The third party is never obligated to pay the bill.

If you or someone you know could benefit from Third Party Notice, use the mail-in request form below. Contact us if you have any questions.

If you get an error downloading the form, you probably don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can get it free on Adobe's Web site.

Weatherization Assistance*

Eligible customers may also receive weatherization assistance from the Ohio Department of Development. This federally-funded program provides grants for weatherization repairs. For details, call us at 1-800-362-7557 or the Ohio HEAP office at 1-800-282-0880.

*NOTE:  You can apply for PIPP Plus, HEAP, WCP and Weatherization Assistance on a combined application. The form is available at post offices, libraries, by calling the Ohio HEAP office at 1-800-282-0880, or by downloading the application from the ODOD web site.